Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 3

I made this jumpsuit in anticipation of the project. The idea of having a couple of 'uniforms' around relieved some of my anxiety about having to come up with something new to wear everyday.

I have always been interested in how uniforms have the ability to affect the psyche. Just by putting this jumpsuit on, for instance, I am suddenly ready to get to work in my studio. I also feel a (possibly false) sense of protection - from the elements, from dirt and grime, even from social conventions to a certain degree, almost like the uniform itself is my excuse for the very fact that I'm wearing it. It's like a disguise but it's actually the opposite.


*Special Note*

I have to apologize for my blogging ineptness. I'm learning this as I go so please bear with me as I fumble through the blog fog! I've been getting a lot of comments and am only just getting to some of them now. Sorry!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie,

    I just read about Makeshift on IC. I wish you luck and think your project is very rad.
    I will be excited to see what comes out of it.
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. really rad natalie... i want one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too want a suit that protects me from social conventions.

    More along the lines of catwoman, though...

    Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is an AWESOME suit and you rock it well every time you've worn it! love the post on the airport-- you don't even need your big fashion bag, you look stylin' in the jumpsuit alone.

    ReplyDelete