Monday, September 21, 2009

Day 21


One of the most frequent comments that I get about the project is its likeness to the "100 Mile Diet". At first I didn't really understand the comparison since, as you probably know, the 100 mile diet is about eating only foods that have been grown or produced locally (within a 100 mile radius). Besides the one year time frame that they both share, I think the desire to compare the two concepts is based on both projects' attempt to take responsibility for one of the three basic human needs - food, clothing and shelter.

Once this connection has been made, the next question I'm often asked is where I'm getting my materials and if they're locally sourced. The answer is no, they are generally not locally sourced though i would love it if they could be. Sadly, we are not big producers of textiles in the Lower Mainland, and I don't want to limit myself to wool and bark. Alright, that may be an exaggeration - there are definitely artist here producing beautiful handmade textiles. But I think that locally sourcing my materials would be a further tangent from my goal. The project is partly about the exploration of materials so right now I don't want to limit myself even further than I already have. If I am successful this year, maybe it's something to consider for the brilliant future.

Having said that, I am trying to use materials that I already have (I have a lot) as well as re-purposed materials, found materials and materials that people have given to me (my favourite). I am conscientious about my materials and am considering where they come from as part of my larger agenda of critically questioning the roles of clothing and being clothed. I hope you will also view this as valid approach to materials.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the sleeve scarf you are wearing. This project of yours is really making me want to learn how to (properly) construct garments. Maybe I'll look into that this winter.

    Best regards,
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your sleeve/shoulder cover garmet. Your challenge is inspirational and interesting! Keep it up:)

    Jac

    ReplyDelete