Monday, May 10, 2010

Days 251 & 252


Quick and easy new shoes! I made these by incorporating a technique for making christmas ornaments that my friend Etsuko in Japan taught me. She is a quilter and to make the ornaments you start with a foam ball and draw your design on it. You then cut the line out with an exacto and take a piece of fabric that is about the same size and with glue on it, squeeze it into the cut line. In the end you have a kind of quilted looking ball. So for these shoes, I cut a line with an exacto knife into the (fake woodgrain) foam and the sqeezed the leather (with glue on it) into the incision. So easy! I'm hoping to make a pair of running shoes using the same technique.

5 comments:

  1. you are amazing! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - I love these. Where did you find the foam for the soles?
    I have always wanted to make shoes - have made most every other fiber thing I've needed, but not to the extent you have. Your journey is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think you've solved the shoe problem in a wonderful manner !

    ReplyDelete
  4. they are so cool!! you rock a la dutch twist

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool - i hope i can find a way to share this page and your work on FB! from Joberg South Africa and San Diego California

    ReplyDelete