Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One month later!

It's been a very full month, if a little anticlimactic. I'm still wearing mostly my own handmade clothes but have been reveling in the cornucopia of shoes I now have to choose from. Also, I'm probably more excited about designing than I have been all year but mostly because I know that I don't have to wear my designs later that day. I thought I'd post a few things here today.

My friend Zoe introduced me to subtraction cutting by Julian Roberts, which is kind of a random and improvised form of pattern cutting. I didn't have anything to wear to my award ceremony on Monday (British Columbia Creative Achievement award - Yay!) so I used the technique to make this dress. It was pretty fun to try out but I have to say it is not the most comfortable dress ever invented. Also, because I didn't line it, it's almost impossible to wear it the same way twice. The way I'm wearing it in this picture looks wholly different from how it looked on Monday.

I also made these black "tulip" pants that are slightly less "tulip-y" than the grey pair I was wearing during the project. I'm still trying to decide which style works best.

This draped top looks a bit like I used the above (subtraction cutting) technique but it's actually just tucked and stitched with sort of random darts.

Well, that's it for now but I'm in making mode so I'll try to post a few more things in the next week or so.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You're back. I missed your posts. I actually like the look of your uncomfortable dress.

    ReplyDelete